Thursday, June 29, 2006

Cameron Highlands part II

Quick review of Cameron Highlands before I leave for the Pehrentian Islands. Its been said that internet is fucking expensive over there so I'll probably stay clear of the rip offs cafes for a couple of days. The lonesome junkie talking to himself on the beach, that's me in dire need of internet. 2mg Google. Liquid Hotmail. Little purple blog pills. Ugh, maybe I can find repentance in Malaria tablets. Sweet overdosis.

As I said, Cameron Highlands is just a collection of hills. Up the mountains. And a jungle, a mossy jungle (that means with moss included). Guided tours are available at Father's guesthouse but we're talking about a walk in the forrest here. I'll pass on the tour. Well yeah I do have better things to do with my money. Like internet, and laundry, and chinese food. Anyway me and Maoro the Italian guy and Peul the Czech guy went on a walk by ourselves. Well Paul was lagging behind cuz he's a semi-proffessional photographer and he takes about 13 pictures of every thing so he can select the perfect one later on. You know, the kind of people that care about F-Stop numbers and ISO levels and exposure milliseconds. Obviously not me. The hike was really nice but not that special since the forrest was so crowded and after having seen the first 362 trees, well I guess the next 8542 ones are pretty much similar.
We did see one bug though. Poor fella, we pretty much photographed the shit out of him. And he was barely coloured anyway. One does what one can. Then walked further to the already polluted waterfalls. The way Paul said it, it's barely worth a photo. Though seeing the clumsy japanese family climb down the rocks to pose for yet another serie of 50 pictures was nice.

Heading for the tea plantation up the hill was great. We got picked up twice on the way up and twice on the way down. Hitchhiking rules in these little towns. People no friendly. Never asked for even one ringit (which is already 1/4th of a euro). First a young guy who didnt speak a word of english. Then another who was bringing schoolkids back home. The local kids are so cool. They're often shy and sometimes huge fans of digital cameras and will pose for you in every power rangers positions imaginable. Up the hill we went where the tea plantation was already closed but the view where breathtaking and Paul was in heaven I guess. We left him there for his next round of endless picture taking. me and Maoro hitchhiked back downtown. First with a foursome of jeeps from a touring company. They were communicating with eachother by walkie talkie and the driver insisted I started a conversation with another driver whose face I never saw. Then dropped us off and we were picked up by a canadian guy who does consulting here on hydro-electric powerstation. Didn't spend one dime on tranportation nor touring that day.

Eaten indian food twice in a row and I think I'll have a break now. Told the shopkeeper we should see other people. He cried and then I cried but we're still good friends and he still shakes my hand like an old pal (and even though Ive seen him do this with other tourists as well I guess I dont mind :-). I had disgusting spaghetti tonight at our hostel and I guess I learned my lesson. The Naan bread at the indian restaurant is still the best thing I've put in my mouth since that godblessed bagel I had in Antwerp before I left.

Today I just chilled and we hitchiked our way up another hill to the tea plantation. The last guy to pick us up was so nice he brought us all the way up there. When the guard told us the plantation is closed to tourists after 4.30pm our driver spoke with him (they know eachother) and agreed on letting us do a quick tour inside the field of tea. Drove around, took more pictures, sat with the driver at some view point and then he drove us back to the village.

Tomorrow I'm leaving to the islands and you probably won't hear from me for another 5 days. I'm in for some amazing diving and partying on the beach and ranting about how everything is so damn more expensive on the island. Good fun.

Umpf

Tal

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He Balisto, alles goed daar? Ik ga vlgnde week vrijdag naar Maleisie. Maar dan ben jij cker alweer op doorreis naar Thailand??

Ik heb btw nog een tas vol spullen van je uit mn kluis. Maar die krijg je wel na de zomervakantie.

Heee have fun en ik spreek je laterrr.

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home