Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Cameron Highlands

First of all Blogspot sucks.
This internet blog website is so damn slow,
I get to Cambodia on a donkey faster than I get this page to load.
Dunno if they're gonna kick me out of their database now...

OK, let me tell you about Danielle. We started on a pretty innocent basis. I go to Singapore, she happens to sleep in the same dorm as I do. Fine. I leave her there, take my bus to Kuala Lumpur. Walk around, go up the KL Menara tower where you can get make some pretty nice pictures of the city. Somebody taps me on the shoulder. Yes. It is Danielle, together with Wendy, the other british travelling girl I met in Singapore. At first I thought she was one of those self-hating travelling type. The kind that complains about other travellers, all going to the same places, sleeping at the same places, and never leaving what is commonly referred to as the Gringo Trail in south america. Ze path. The one crossed by every traveller who doesn't go 'off the beaten track'. Like what, I come from fucking Holland, I consider some hole named Penang pretty much of the fucking beaten track :) But no, Wendy you see, she really connects with the locals. She takes a full month to see a country the size of my iPod. She stays a whole week up in every hole on the way until she knows the number of tiles at the Inn Crowd's bathroom. Wendy if you're reading this I love you ;) OK, so that was my first impression. But I decided to have a chat with her. I guess I get her point of view. She has time. She likes to meet people, local people, and get more than a feel of the place she's at. I can understand. But some of us have only five weeks to see SE ASIA, only one holiday a year, and no cash growing amongs the weed plantation. So yes I kind of breeze through a whole country. And no I haven't met the local chief's daughter. Hell, maybe I'm just pre-viewing south-east Asia. Maybe I'm just getting a taste of everything so that when I will have the time, and the money, I'll know where to go. Besides, isnt it my duty as a child of the beloved zapping-generation to just fast-consume travelling the way I'll multi-watch television and simultanously talk to people on msn and browse three websites at a time? Alright, maybe travelling is like speed-dating, and there are about 192 ladies I have to pay a visit, so no I can't stay for another month in Malesia cuz Ghana sounds like an foxy lady as well.

Oh I lost track of Danielle. Anyway, so she was there in Kuala Lumpur again. Now here I am at Cameron Highlands. It's up in the mountains where they have many tea plantations (imagine vast hillsides striped by neatly tended plants). Makes for great pictures. And it's really laid back. And apparently you keep meeting the same people there cuz guess who I saw coming through the door about 20 minutes ago? Senorita Danielle. She plans to hit the Pehrentian Island the day after tomorrow, just like me. Guess we're going together. And to think that I thought she was slightly bitchy when I saw her the first time at the hostel in Singapore. (Danielle if you're reading this don't strangle me in my sleep with my own socks please, I kinda got to like these socks) Well there you go, I corrected my prejudices twice already. See if I can keep it up.

Umpff

Tal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home